Relationship Property

Corporate and commercial law

Achieving successful commercial objectives involves collaborating with lawyers who understand your business, your commercial environment and your expectations for the future. Your lawyer should act as your business partner, offering advice to help you make better business decisions.

This requires people who can explain complex situations in plain English, provide dependable and accurate information, anticipate and manage risks, and develop solutions to get you a profitable outcome.

Relationship Property issues are diverse and occur at every stage of a relationship, from starting a new one through to a separation. In all cases, we urge you to have a conversation with your partner about relationship property before an issue occurs.

Dealing with relationship issues at any stage needs empathy and understanding from all parties concerned. Even at the beginning of a relationship, working through agreements can be stressful and awkward. This is where a relationship property lawyer is of greatest assistance.

New relationships

If you’re entering into a new relationship, either or both partners may want to protect their property against a relationship breakdown. If you have an agreement in place, this makes a separation easier to manage when dividing up your property and assets.


Relationships rarely end amicably. This makes negotiating property settlements difficult for both parties. We’re here to help you obtain the best property settlement for your situation and will manage the process with understanding and respect.

The Relationship Property Act

The Act applies to all married and civil union couples and de facto couples who have been together for three or more years. The ordinary rules of property ownership decide what each person is entitled to for short term de facto relationships of less than three years.

How we help

Considering the implications of ending a relationship is always difficult at any stage. We can help with any issue that arises from this sensitive matter, including advice and guidance, preparing and filing the paperwork necessary for a divorce, and helping you divide your property and assets.

You may choose to handle the separation of property yourself, in which case we can give you advice and guidance about your rights. If you can’t reach an agreement with your ex-partner, we can represent you in negotiations or in the Family Court.

Please contact us if we can be of assistance.

Areas of expertise:

  • Advice about your rights and entitlements
  • Relationship property agreements
  • Separation agreements
  • The division of assets
  • Resolving relationship disputes
  • Representation in Court